Pages

Friday 13 April 2012

Spiral up or down?


When you woke this morning what choice did you make? Did you choose to spiral up or down?

I'd suggest if yesterday you were spiralling up that today you found it easy to continue to do the same. If yesterday was hard, you felt a little deflated or had let things get to you that continuing the spiral down may have been set as the default for today.

I've had many conversations with clients and friends about this over recent weeks and noticed the same in myself too. Let me give you my example:

It started with a cough which floored me for 2 weeks - I ended up staying in the house watching rubbish TV, sleeping a lot and eating rubbish too. For the following 4 weeks I was travelling with work which meant living in hotels and spending time on trains, planes and automobiles. The routine of rubbish TV, lots of time alone, grabbing food on the go continued. Weekends were a blur of catching up with emails, housework, sleep and yet more rubbish tv. I was only just managing to keep on top of emails, work and to-do lists. Energy was waning. I was certainly in a spiral down.

It would be easy for me to simply put it down to (ok..blame) the cough and the travelling and take no action. However that's 6 weeks of wasted opportunity, and there are simple things I could have done, even when ill, to enable me to spiral up. Even if only one step at a time. Things such as:


  • Taking my vitamins


  • Eating better


  • Drinking more water


  • Getting outside in the sunshine


  • Walking on the beach even when raining


  • Watching programs that inspire me (via TED, youtube or yes even on TV)


  • or progs that make me laugh


  • Reading


  • Spending time with other people


  • Taking baths not showers (this is a biggie for me)


  • Being creative


  • etc


  • Why - because these are all things I've written about in previous blogs that sustain me and help me maintain my passion for life - even if one day at a time. Do you know what sustains you. More importantly have you written them down for easy reference in times of need and when you've forgotten?

    It's soo easy to buy into the spiral down and make decisions that support that movement. Next time you notice the change in direction go to your list of things that sustain you and make a choice - do one of them or even better do more than one of them. And notice what you notice.

    PS you may like the PINTEREST vision board I've just started that acts as a reminder of what sustains me

    Alison

    Alison Smith
    Helping Procurement teams to spiral up!

    Image at top of page from On Your Mark's web site where there's an excerpt for a book called Spiral up!

    No comments: